Setting Up Magento 2.0 Default Flat Rate Shipping Extension
Flat rate shipping means the same shipping charge (for example US$ 5.00) would be applicable to all packets of the specified size, regardless of the quantity of packet contents. This means that the packet can contain one sheet of paper or filled to the maximum.
As a store owner, you can fix a shipping rate per item or per order (may contain more than one item) for the specific destination.
This tutorial will give you an excellent launch pad to kick start the usage of default flat rate shipping extension. It will give you all the essential knowledge and step-by-step instructions.
Setting Up default Flat Rate shipping extension
You can configure this extension as per your requirement. You can navigate to settings as:
- Admin Dashboard > Stores > Configuration > Sales > Shipping Methods > Flat Rate.
The general setting fields are as shown below:
- Enabled: Select Yes from the drop-down list to enable the default Flat Rate shipping extension.
- Title: Title is visible in Cart page. Specify Title as required(defined by you).
- Method Name: Enter shipping method name. It appears in the cart as shown below:
Type of Flat Rate Shipping
This field decides that how the Flat rate gets applied. The setting is as given below:
The available options are as given below:
- None: Method will be shown in the cart, but the shipping charge will be none.
- Per Order: You can fix a rate for an order which can contain any number of products.
- Per Item: You can fix a rate for an item. Rate get multiplied by the total number of items to get the shipping charges.
The setting is as shown below:
Enter the Flat rate fee in this field.
Handling Fee Settings
You can add the extra shipping price to actual shipping cost as a handling fee. You can mention the fixed amount or the percentage of the total order. The settings are as shown below:
Display Error Message
In case, the customer does not get any shipping method, this specified message is displayed to the customer. The setting is as shown below:
The Country settings are as shown below:
Ship to Applicable Countries: This field allows you to select countries for shipping. The available options are as given below:
- All allowed Countries: This option provides availability of the extension to the customers in all countries which are set in General Settings. It is set as a default option.
- Specific Countries: This option allows you to add the list of countries. Shipping Method gets available only in the listed countries.
If more than one shipping methods are enabled, then this option allows you to position the shipping method among all the available that will be displayed on the checkout page. The setting is as shown below:
Specify the number to show this shipping method on the checkout page.
For Example: Sort order for FedEx is 1, UPS is 2 and Stamps – USPS is 3, then the shipping services for Stamps – USPS will be displayed after FedEx and UPS.
Click Save Config to save all the settings.
After setting up Flat rate Shipping Extension, your customers can see available flat rate on the checkout page. The Checkout page is as shown below:
Since two items are in the cart, the total shipping charge is $10 (5×2).